Skip to main content

Minister, NCDC boss meet Buhari over lockdown, Kano deaths

The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Sunday, received briefing from the Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire; and the Director General, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, Chikwe Ihekweazu, on the latest development on coronavirus and the reported strange disease in Kano State.
Ehanire, who spoke to State House correspondents on the outcome of the closed-door meeting in Abuja, said they briefed the President on the activities and overall positions of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.

 The briefing of Buhari by the minister and the NCDC boss came barely 24 hours before the expiration of the 14-day extension to a lockdown in Lagos, Ogun and the Federal Capital Territory to combat the pandemic.
The President had, on April 13, announced a 14-day extension to a lockdown in the three territories to combat the deadly virus.
The minister said the PTF presented to the President its advice and recommendations on way forward as regards the ongoing fight against the spread of the deadly virus in the country. He said, “We also brought the overall summary apposition of the Presidential Task Force which as you know comprises of not only the health ministry but other ministries.”
According to Ehanire, the country is winning the fight against the pandemic as all relevant health institutions have agreed to work together to achieve the desired goal of defeating the novel coronavirus.
He said, “We have developed a strong strategy as we are working with other experts groups like the NCDC and relevant health organisations. So, we are also working with the states and the governors.” The minister, who also spoke on the reported strange disease in Kano, said his ministry had been communicating with relevant agencies, as well as the Kano State Government with a view to addressing the health problem.
He said, “We will continue to build up our testing strategies. At the moment, 14 testing centres have been activated across the country.
“We want to bring the test closer to every state. Everybody is working very hard to solve this problem. I can see that some people are already procuring Rapid Diagnostic Test Kits.
“They don’t work as far as we know. So, I will really recommend that we all stick to the national strategy, build on it, support its expansion and together we will get on top of the pandemic.’’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMF may approve Nigeria’s $3.4bn loan today

   There are strong indications   that the Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund may approve the $3.4bn loan sought by Nigeria on Tuesday (today). Although the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, had on April 6, while announcing that Nigeria had applied for the loan, said the funds were expected within six to 12 weeks, Reuters and Bloomberg reported that the IMF would meet over the request today. The reports quoted unofficial sources in the IMF. If approved, the loan would be among the largest allocations by the IMF to an African country in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is expected that the IMF Executive Board would approve the loan having already approved similar requests for several countries. According to the IMF, about 102 countries applied for aid as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The IMF Managing Director, Kristalina Georgieva, had in a statement on April 7 said the organ...

Coronavirus - FG seeks COVID-19 patients for herbal drug trials

The Federal Government says there are pharmaceutical processes and standards that must be observed before endorsing any proposed herbal or homegrown drug for use by coronavirus patients in the country. The Minister of State for Health, Olorunnimbe Mamora, made this known on Friday during a briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja. He said the health ministry would soon meet with scientists, researchers, and traditional medicine specialists in the country who have registered that they have one drug or the other for the treatment of Lethal virus. He noted that the National Agency for Food, Drug Administration and Control would test such drugs to ascertain whether they are fit for human consumption, adding that such drugs would undergo clinical trials and this would require a few COVID-19 patients to willingly accept that the drugs be tested on them. Responding in Yoruba Language to a question asked by a reporter from an indigenous TV station, the ministe...

CORONAVIRUS - Osun records third COVID-19 death

Osun State Government on Saturday announced the death of another COVID-19 patient, taking the number of death linked to the disease to three in the last week. Also, three health workers that had initially tested positive to the disease in the state have fully recovered.The State’s Commissioner for Health, Dr. Rafiu Isamotu, in a statement, said the deceased in her late 60s died at the isolation centre in General Hospital, Asubiaro, Osogbo. Isamotu also said COVID-19 index case in the state had been discharged after spending thirty-eight days in isolation. He explained that the case had arrived in Osun State from the United Kingdom before being taken into the Isolation Centre, and subsequently to the care facility, where he received medical care for 38 days. He was said to have tested negative twice for the virus. He recalled that the health workers had last Wednesday, tested negative for COVID-19 but had to be subjected to a second round of tests, in line with the protocol of...